Almost the end of August, the year seems to have slipped through my fingers. I finally got around to dragging the roll of polythene out of the attic and measuring it; nowhere near big enough to re-sheet my tunnel. Yesterday I ordered a new sheet, and hot spot tape. I may have passed the point of no return as regards moving the tunnel from the garden up to the allotment.
We haven’t reached a consensus as to what happens to the space it currently occupies. When Sue made a takeover bid for my propagation greenhouse I thought she’d abandoned thoughts of yet another greenhouse to replace the tunnel. Turns out she wants both, a new one to give her extra space for cacti and succulents and the (ex) prop house probably mainly for fuchsias.
I need to move the tunnel by the end of September I think, before the weather goes totally down the pan. It’s a very windy allotment, I need to leave myself in with a chance of getting it sheeted. That will mean cutting short the tomato crop but they have usually lost most of their flavour by then. There’s also the small matter of what I do with all the plants that are in it. So my item number one is a job to do, or it may be a big enough job to describe as a project.
Move the tunnel, planning stage. I think I have completed the contemplation stage, it’s looking like it’s going to happen this year. We’re signed up for garden opening next year, it has to go. A poly-tunnel can be very useful but it’s never going to be pretty and It’s too big to easily screen off, which would cut out light in any case. I really meant to move it a year ago but it didn’t happen. It’s 10ft x 15ft; 150 square feet to play with, plus the bit behind it which is currently a dumping ground.
Hesperantha sp. I’ve had Cyrtanthus ‘Pink Diamond’ since about 2006, starting with a single bulb which has grown to a sizeable clump in a large pot. Last year I noticed a slender spike of something else amongst the Cyrtanthus and when it flowered it was evidently Hesperantha. It’s up and flowering again this year, very slender with quite small flowers, usually only one open at a time, closes up when it’s dull, pink with purplish undertones. Barely worth growing but too intriguing to get rid of. Was it there all along? Small, not flowering perhaps. Maybe there was a seed with the original bulb and it germinated and grew somewhere along the way. I can think of no possible way it’s got in there while I’ve had it. The best match I’ve found online is Hesperantha huttonii, but in truth I have no idea.
Miscanthus sinensis ‘Morning Light’. Upright, sturdy grass with narrow leaves edged white and with a white midrib, viewed from above but green below. This has grown taller than me, around 6 feet, which I wasn’t expecting and so far, there is no sign of it producing flowers yet.
I had this in my sights for such a long time before I got around to buying one, having seen and admired it on many occasions. It is one of the best varieties of one of the best grasses, an opinion reinforced in the two seasons I’ve had it. Should have got it years earlier.
Helenium autumnale ‘Feursiegel’. I thought I’d lost this but it’s hanging on in there. Shorter than last week’s ‘Chipperfield Orange’ and planted directly behind it. As you can see, the petal markings are variable, which adds a bit of variety.
Camellia sinensis var. sinensis. Which you may well recognize as being the tea plant. This is one of the plants I’m looking after and growing on for the National Collection of Camellias at Mt. Edgcumbe. It’s not really big enough to be planted out safely in the park yet and they are so desperately short staffed I took some of the choicer varieties they had languishing in their small nursery home last year.
I don’t have a plant of my own of this, and given it’s barely hardy, don’t want one, though it’s usually another tea variety that I have that is the earliest bloomer each Camellia season. This has beaten it this year. The flowers are only about an inch wide when fully open.
Echeveria setosa. For a couple of years you have a single small rosette in a pot. Then the next time you look it’s in a big pan and 15 inches across. I think the bristles must eventually drop off the older leaves, the small rosettes seemed to have far more. I’m beginning to see why Sue wants another glasshouse or two.
I think I’m getting the hang of the block editor, not that I’ve explored the possibilities much. So far it’s been very straightforward. I need to look at the results on various devices, it’s all very well it looking good to me, I don’t have to read it on a phone.
I want to try to get a few more wider views into my sixes, the tunnel was this week’s pretext. I do like to see wider shots of peoples gardens and others have said the same. There always seem to be more individual plants, this week you didn’t get Begonia luxurians in flower or my other yellow crocosmia.
I’ve also spent some of this weeks rainy weather trying to get my categories and tags into better shape. I have a long way to go and would welcome any feedback but there may be things I’ve mentioned that someone would like to find again.
The forecast for the weekend looks to be a bit dryer, which is welcome, with next week a mixed bag. I’m not keen on it becoming September, that’s beginning to sound like autumn, even here.
The Propagator, our meme host, is off on his hols but is still hosting all the links to other sixes. They’re piling in I see, so many early birds.